The role of Non-Governmental Organisations remains crucial in all phases of disaster management. Disaster Management Act, 2005, Section 10 (2) (n), 22 (2) (f), 24 (j), 30 (2) (xiii), 30 (2) (xix), 30 (2) (xxvii), 34 (l), 35 (2) (a) and 38 (2) (a) highlights NGO collaboration in Disaster Risk Reduction.
Kerala State Disaster Management Authority (KSDMA) collaborated with Sphere India (A coalition of NGOs) in 2019. The collaboration aimed at the following:
1. Update District Disaster Management Plans of all 14 districts
2. Create an institutional framework for NGO collaboration
As a result of the project, all 14 districts formed Inter Agency Groups (IAGs) under respective DDMAs for NGO coordination. A total of 420 NGOs spread across the State are now part of the IAG network of DDMAs.
29 to 30 July 2020
|Two-Day Training Programme cum Consultation on Development of Participatory District Disaster Management Plan|
|05 to 07 December 2020||DDMP consultation meeting at KSDMA|
|30 December||Quarterly project review meeting|
|03 to 06 February||Write shop|
|05 February 2020||State level advisory committee meeting|
- Report of District Level Civil Society Consultation Meeting-District Disaster Management Plan Revision, October-December 2019. Report can be found here
- Report of District Level Nodal Officer Consultation Meeting-District Disaster Management Plan Revision, October-December 2019. Report can be found here
- Annual Report of 2019-2020 – Sphere India – KSDMA partnership project. Report can be found here